View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 04:40 PM   #7
jwash
YT 500 Club Member

I know this sounds kinda strange but it worked for me. When Chloe found out she could bark, I got in her face and whispered no, no, no barking. When she did not bark for just a few seconds, I gave her a Cheerio and lots of praise. Often I would pull her up to my lap and whisper. I learned this from a lady at the dog walk park who had a beagle. Be careful not to get on the floor with your pet, stay above him, in fact, I would not let him take the lead, ever, like staying above your head on the back of a chair or sofa or coming in a door first, remember, you are the boss. I totally agree with confinement. A 9 month old yorkie is way too smart not to be housebroken and obedient at that age, other than the infrequent accident, sickness or other extenuating circumstances. When I got Lacey. she was so tiny, I just knew she could not hold her tee tee all night. Not so, she turned out to be easier to train than Chloe, who is twice her size. I also believe in time out when mine are not behaving I put them in their kennel and close the door. Other than at night, I never keep their doors closed so they know time out is different. When I think back about how I trained Chloe, there was a time I was at my wits end and emailed her breeder. She gave me good advice, which might not apply to you but it did to me. She said to be her mom, not her grandma. In other words, discipline her like I would my child and she was right, I spoiled her rotten at first and being the smart dogs they are, she took advantage. Hang in there.
jwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!