Thread: Weight question
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 07:48 AM   #15
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFan121s View Post
I understand what Debbie (and Mardelin) mean regarding size guarantees. When you run accross a breeder who has spent years and years (as in 15, 20, more, not as in 1 or 2 yrs) breeding, studying Yorkies and developing a strong line...they have a trained eye that can estimate what their dogs are producing and are able to estimate things, weight included, pretty accurately.

I also agree w/ Debbie on another point. Any breeder who is truly dedicated to their program will not be so willing to just turn over one of their dogs for breeding...if you find one willing to do so, I would question if the dog will in fact be a quality specimen that should be bred.

I don't know if I missed something.....but, I didn't see where purchasing a breeding dog was the original posters question. But, to add.....if one is looking for a show/breeding (pretty much one in the same) dog...one wouldn't purchase one until approximately 6 - 8 months or older....waiting until then would give you more of a guarantee as to whether the dog meets the standard.

Debbie is right....reputable breeders do not readily let go of their dogs on an open registration to anyone with the asking price.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!