Thread: Vomiting
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalina82 View Post
i give a tablespoon of yogurt for digestion problems.

its difficult to say whether you should take her to the er for a little vomiting. It depends on how well you know your dog. Mine had a bout of vomting a few weeks ago, which is very unlike her. she vomited up bile at least 5 times in one day and was very sleepy for most of the day. i kept an eye on her and said if she does it again teh next day i'd take her in. the next morning i gave her some yogurt. no more vomiting that day and she had more energy. it wasn't the yogurt that cured her but it helps put good bacteria back into the digestive tract.

Also DO NOT feed her for at least 12 hours to give her tummy a rest. if you keep feeding her thinking that she's hungry because she vomited everything up then she's just going to continue to vomit. Also limit her water intake as this can also make her vomit. After 12 hours you can offer her boiled chicken and rice if you wish or give her her regular meal just in a much smaller portion.

I agree. The standard treatment is to rest the tummy for 12 hours, then begin with little meals of easily digestible foods like chicken and rice.

If she can keep it down, give her Pedialite so she doesn't lose electrolytes. If she doesn't improve by tomorrow, I'd take her to your vet. These little ones can dehydrate very quickly.

You can try Pepto, too, if she can keep that down. The dosage is here:

http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!