Thread: Havanese
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #12
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carold View Post
I just saw this thread. I just got my havanese 2 months ago. I did extensive research and went to lots of local shows before deciding on a breeder. I went through the pregnancy and delivery and got my girl at 10 weeks of age. The breeders and show people I met were warm and welcoming - very helpful. I will begin showing my girl later this winter under the guidance of my breeder/mentor/friend.

They are indeed members of the bichon family and have been recognized by the AKC since the late 90s. They have health problems just like many of the other purebred breeds but the Havanese Club of America is very proactive about dealing with the problems. Any HCA breeder will have the potential parents CERFed for cataracts, BAER tested for hearing. In addition, they will have their hips and patellas rated as well. You can go to the CHIC or OFA websites to verify the health info.

They are enchanting little dogs with sweet, exuberant personalities. They are double coated and require lots of brushing and grooming to prevent matting. They are hypo allergenic.They are smart as whips and just wonderful. They aren't big barkers. Obviously, I am in love with my havanese! The HCA website has lots of great info as well. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate asking.

Carol
Aside from being wonderful little dogs, that is the next best thing about Havanese, the wonderful parent club that is determined not to let this special little dog be ruined by inexperienced and careless breeders. The HCA is the self proclaimed caretaker and protector of the breed.

http://www.havanese.org/

Another nice thing about Havanese is their slightly larger size. They were bred to be children's playmates and are a great choice for a family with younger children.
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!