View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
jp4m2
Love my Boys
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2BabyNatalie View Post
Hi you guys....

My next door neighbor got a new 8 week old puppy on Friday (from an ad in the local paper) - and the family she got him from told her that he hadn't had his shots yet. (she met with the husband who was home to show the puppies). Sooooooo, off to the vet they went for check up and vaccinations.... other than being a little underweight, (from having worms), the vet said the pup seemed in good health. She got him his first round of puppy shots (or so she thought) and spent the evening enjoying her new baby.

This afternoon, the wife of the guy where my neighbor got the pup, called her to let her know that the puppy had indeed had his first puppy shots (a 5 way combo) a little less than two weeks ago..... ugh!!

So of course, my neighbor is beside herself with worry that her pup will get sick from the puppy shots being given too close together....

Her vet is closed on Saturday so I thought I'd see what you guys know about the consequences, if any - of giving puppy vaccinations closer than the recommended 3 weeks apart.

Thanks!
In my opinion a combo shot should never be given, it has some vaccines in it that are uneccessary like the one for Lepto..... giving the combo shots is equivalent to being subjected to 5 diseases all at one time to your pup, it's a lot for the immune system to handle. You don't have to start over. The shots already given are still in his system, they'll either replicate or they will not, the shots already given don't evaporate. I'd just wait about 4 weeks and give the third shot(s) separately ( as in the distemper and the parvo), since the previous owner did one and you did one.

This is a schedule from Dr. Jean Dodds, she's highly respected in the field of vaccines .....
http://www.weim.net/emberweims/Vaccine.html

This site explains vaccines and why we do a three shot series, it might be helpful to read....

http://www.newvaccinationprotocols.c...logy%20101.htm

Last edited by jp4m2; 12-08-2007 at 03:33 PM.
jp4m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!