View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
SophieRose
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Wow! What a sad little pup when she was found. Her body has taken a substantial amount of damage, and her immune system must be so beat up, especially being 10 years old. I adopted Charlie at 10 and he had lived in poor health conditions for three years or more. I feed him Orijen (grain free) and Solid Gold wet food with vitamins/fish oil. He had major dental work completed and left with four molars on the bottom. Also, he had demodex (treated with Ivermectin), and -0- level on his thyroid. So, he also takes Soloxine twice a day. Thyroid & demodex (mites) cause hair loss.

His coat looks so much better, but the lower third of his back is still thin. Lots of brown spots on his skin which is related to hormones.

I would suggest a full Geriatric blood panel which is a good indicator where your pup's levels are at this time. Dental is so important due to toxins (His dental surgery was expensive, but worth it).

His little body is recovering and I am sure he had thyroid problems for most of his adult life and it was not addressed. Once a pup has demodex, they can never be given prednisone.

She looks so much better and bless you for saving this beautiful little pup. Also, Charlie does not like the crate either, and fearful of canes, umbrellas.

The transition takes months, and lots of patience. Warmly, Deborah

PS Rescued pups are so deserving of our love and you will find they don't demand our attention, even though it is needed. They are conditioned to wait...
SophieRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!