Thread: Cleaning Toys
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 07:36 AM   #3
Suzy
2 Pups=Double Trouble!
Donating Member

I put rubber and plastic toys like Kongs/Nylabones etc. in the dishwasher and run a "Sanitize" Cycle to get those clean. I put the stuffed/plush and rope toys in the washer with mild detergent, and then toss them in the dryer on low heat. Everything has come out beautifully!

As far as rawhides go-I don't give them to my dogs anymore for a number of reasons, but when I used to give Emma rawhides, I would just toss them after a couple of days. The reason is that rawhide can't really be cleaned, since it's an organic compound, you can't really "wash" it. It collects dirt, dust, and lint, as well as bacteria and fungus from the air and from your dog's mouth. After a couple days, the bacteria grow on the rawhide (ever noticed it turns black or brown?)...so, I would recommend tossing them and giving a fresh one every 2 days or so.

And, as always, please watch your dog closely when they have rawhide or other chew toys. Pieces can break off, and the bones can get too small, posing a choking hazard.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!