View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
shadream
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Patellas

Hi,

It only takes a couple of seconds to check the patellas and it is a common problem in small dogs. Most vets check for bad patellas atopmatically.

I just had surgery done on both patellas on a 2 yr old 5lb yorkie and both patellas done on a very fragile 7 yr old 3 lb poodle.
The yorkie bounced right back, the poodle however has been through rehab and all and still cannot straighten his legs, walks with bent back legs, he will probably never walk right again, I believe my mistake was in waiting till he was older that and he is quite delicate, his little legs are no bigger around than my baby finger.

The orthopedic surgeon said my yorkie is a healing machine, and that the yorkies usually do quite well.
Cost of both surgeries was 1500.00 per dog for 2 patellas. Of course with the complications my poodle had it was a bit more for him in the end.

If I had to do it again I would still do the yorkie and I would do the poodle at 2-3yrs old. The poodle is not in pain anymore but will probably have to deal with arthritis.

It is a difficult decision but if you decide to do it I would do it while the little one is still young.

God bless.

Lil Cheeky Charlie's mom
shadream is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!