View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 11:24 AM   #9
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepieyorkies View Post
Well we were talking about genetic testing in the different breeds

and they wanted to know what we test for and we got into a heated discussion about lp and legg p and even hip dysplasia in yorkies and why we as responsible breeder's do not ofa

and I have had my dog's ex rayed but now i am re thinking about having it re done and certified

this was a discussion on another forum

I guess the best thing to do is go with your gut......all of these things have been found in the yorkie breed....as far as other yorkie breeder practices, be they well known or not....I don't know what they do.....we can only do what we know is the right thing to do......hiding our heads in the sand is not a thing that I recommend.....and I do know that having them x-rayed is not a guarantee that the dogs are not carriers of those dreaded things.....believe me when that DNA marker comes out for Shunt, I'll be the first one in line to have my dogs tested.

I do know that the Mother Club is conducting research in each of the areas that plague our breed. DNA markers have been identified for other breeds, but all DNA markers can not be used across the canine world.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!