Thread: Obesity
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Jenn218
Mojo, LilyGrace & Me
Donating Member

Post Obesity

((copied from a newsletter I get and thought I would pass it on!))

Obesity
Obesity is the condition of being seriously overweight. Obese pets have more physical ailments and a shorter lifespan than those of normal weight. Obesity increases the risk of complications during surgery, and breathing and walking are more difficult for the obese pet. The obese pets have a higher risk in developing joint problems such as arthritis. Obesity can kill your pet!

Obesity is usually the result of too much food and too little exercise. Other factors, such as breed, temperament, hormone imbalance, and disease, may also cause obesity. Most cases are the result of consuming too many calories.

Weight loss should be accomplished slowly with a nutritionally balanced diet, rather than with severe short-term food restriction. In most cases, pets must be re-trained to eat moderate amounts of food 1-2 times daily without any snacks.

All members of the family should be aware of the need for the pet to lose weight, and all should be in agreement before starting dietary control. One person can easily foul up the entire weight-loss program.

Things you can try at home:
1: Switch to a "lite" food. Many pet foods offer a restricted-calorie formula of the same food you may currently be feeding. You can try to feed a little less of a lite formula. You will need to keep him on this food for a minimum of 3 months to determine if this is working.

2: Feeding snacks will fool you! For every biscuit you feed, it's as if you are feeding them a snicker bar! Most people give treats throughout the day; after they go potty, when they go into their kennel, after they follow a command. Imagine eating 4-10 snicker bars in one day! Tasty, yes, but not healthy!!
For healthy treats, you can give them pieces of their food. This is especially good for the severely restricted animals. Just remember to deduct them from the amount of food they receive total.

3: Other healthy snacks to feed include baby carrots, shredded mini wheats (PLAIN), air-popped popcorn (without butter or salt), and a minimal amount of low fat dog biscuits.

4: Exercise more! For those couch potato dogs, a little bit of activity is more than they are use to. Play catch for at least 15 minutes a day, every little bit helps! For the chubby cats, try placing their food bowls on something they have to jump on to eat will allow them a small amount of exercise.

If you find your pet is still not loosing weight, it may be time to visit your veterinarian. Your pet may have a hormone problem or another disease that may be preventing your pet from weight loss. Your veterinarian can run blood tests or place your pet on a prescription food that will help your pet loose weight. Most veterinarian's will have a specific weight loss plan that can be written out for you to follow and give you goals to look forward too!
Jenn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!