View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 08:05 PM   #6
MyFairLacy
Donating YT 10K Club Member

My number one recommendations would be a raw diet. I feed a pre-packaged raw but you can also mix your own raw. This diet requires a good amount of research but I truly believe it is the BEST diet for most dogs. There is a few threads in the health and diet forum right now about raw feeding that can point you in the right direction if you're interested.

Second best to me is homecooking. To do this you also need to do your research and find good, balanced recipes. You can get these recipes from experienced homecookers or speak directly to a small animal nutritionist. I think cooking the meat loses some of the nutrients that raw has in it and therefor needs supplements, but it is a great option if raw feeding freaks you out ...and homecooking (if done the right way) is much better than commercial pet food

My next recommendation would be a PREMIUM grain-free canned food. Some good brands off the top of my head are Nature's Variety Instinct and Innova Evo. There are also Premium canned foods out there with grain in them too if you want to keep some grains in the diet such as Nature's Variety Prairie, Innova, California Natural, Canidae, Merrick, Wellness among others...

I'm not big on kibble only but if that's what you want to do go with a PREMIUM kibble. Nature's Variety Instinct, Innova Evo, and Wellness Core are all grain-free kibbles. Then there is Nature's Variety Prairie, Innova, Wellness, Canidae, Merrick, California Natural, and others that have grain in it.

I highly recommend not buying your food at Walmart and K-mart. Perhaps there is a larger city not too far away that offers more stores? You can stock up between trips. Or order online. www.petfooddirect.com is a good place to do that. shipping isn't cheap, but you be constantly e-mailed discount coupons from them so that helps.

Good Luck
MyFairLacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!