View Single Post
Old 02-14-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
schatzie
Moderator Emeritus

I have to admit to all you Yorkie Talker's out here, I am so darn confused over all the posts lately on "what type of dog food to feed our pets and what not type of dog food to feed our pets"...

I personally have Schatzie on Bill Jac. She started out on that at the breeder and enjoys it so I have continued. Annabelle my Schnauzer is on the "forbidden lately" Iams.

My head spins over all this questioning to myself am I feeding the proper diet to my beloved pets.

I have to tell you, as a kid my parents bought a mixed terrier for $5.00. I named her Pepsi. She was the best darn dog ever!! Know what she ate? My parents bought store brand five dollar if that "golden nuggets"...Pepsi ate that stuff till she was 15 years old and I at that time had grown into an adult and due to just plain old aging I had to put her down. (saddest day in my life)
That huge heavy bag of golden nugget dog food sat in our garage opened and the roaches had a field day with it too. (disgusting huh?)

So then now I sit and ponder over "do we feed our dogs all this fancy smancy stuff cuz we as humans feel better to show our dogs how much we love them? I mean, I honestly only want the best stuff for Schatzie and Annabelle.
But I was under the impression that ALL dog foods sold in the USA is government inspected USDA and has all the nutrients in the dog food to keep our little pets happy.

Now I understand completely as some dog foods do not agree with our pets so we have to search for the foods that do. As now, my parents (who bought that cheap dog food for Pepsi) is now buying high dollar vet sold dog food for their little Ruffy (Frishe Bichon) due to bladder stones.

I also own Daisy, my 135 pound Great Parynese who was dumped on our door step a few years ago. (we took pity on her lost little soul and adopted her) What does she eat? Walmart brand Ol Roy.!! She also gets all our table scraps. But, she is a strictly outside dog only and well It's not that I cannot afford to get her the "good expensive" stuff, it's just she is doing just fine on the Walmart brand. (again, from my understanding this is USDA inspected right?) This is the same dog that eats deer carcuses and cow parts when she ponders over them. (we live in the country) So, it just seems odd to me to get her this fancy fancy food.

I am NOT downing any food brands out there. Id just sure like to know which is the best so I can go get some. And regarding the "animal testing"...I honestly think probably all pet food company's do this. I don't know this for a fact so correct me if I am wrong.

But either way, out pets are ANIMALS - and if an animal has to fend for itself and HUNT for food it will go to all the gross parts of that hunted animal first, guaranteed. It will not go hunt down a corn field for corn or wheat I do know this much. So why is all that corn and wheat used as such a big filler anyway in the foods? And I am thankful to be blessed with pets who do not have to hunt for their food!!

So, I am going to sit back and pray that hopefully I will find the PERFECT dog food for my pets..

I am not trying to be on a soap box and please forgive me for sounding as if I am....Im just really confused over the dog food issues.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!