View Single Post
Old 02-14-2005, 09:43 AM   #1
fasteddie
YT 6000 Club Member

Default [News] A Yorkie Service Dog

Eye contact typically does it.

The heart melts and affection blooms into an unconditional love that often lasts a pet's lifetime - or longer.

That adoring look from a cat or dog is only rarely matched in a human relationship. Puppy love can be powerful, almost beyond belief.

Few believe that 5-pound Lacey, a "teacup" Yorkshire terrier, could really be a service dog to an owner who uses a wheelchair.

But Lacey rides on her "mom's" wheelchair and scooter, sits in her lap on flights and knows when she's hurting.

Tiny Lacey will pick up everything from car keys to a cell phone, coupons to pencils and paintbrushes, in response to both voice and hand commands.
Sue Dunay of Concord Township depends on her tiny service dog when she goes grocery shopping at Heinen's or heads out in her van, which is equipped with a wheelchair lift and left side gas pedal and brake.

"I can't imagine life without her," Dunay said.

At 4 weeks, when they first met, Lacey weighed less than a pound and fit in the palm of Dunay's hand.

"She looked up at me and it was love right there," wrote Dunay, 45, when responding to The News-Herald's requests for stories of puppy love.

Unfortunately, Lacey had been sold to Dunay when the pup was too young
to be separated from her mother. Soon Dunay had a very sick little puppy on her hands. The illness resulted in $1,500 in vet bills.

"My vet, Dr. (William) Fraser at Brightwood Animal Hospital, hooked her up to IVs and even took her home with him for a few days," Dunay recalled. Once she got the ailing pup home again, the bonding continued as she fed Lacey baby food every two hours by syringe.

As Lacey recovered, Dunay quickly observed how smart her little dog was.
"Because I am in a wheelchair, I wanted to be sure she would listen to me and not run off," Dunay said.

A trainer came to Dunay's home every week to work with her and Lacey. At a little more than 6 months old, the pup had mastered the traditional sit, stay and speak commands, both by voice and hand signals.

"She would also put her paws around my hand so I could lift her up," Dunay said.

When her mistress dropped the pen she was using during one training
session, Lacey scooped it into her mouth and took off running.

"I told her to heel," Dunay said. "She stopped and looked at me, then slowly walked over to me, carrying that pen."

Dunay and the trainer both realized Lacey might be trained to become a service dog, so, small as she was, the training intensified.

"She had the ability to sense my deep draining pain before it would come on," Dunay said. "Sometimes when my arthritis is the only thing really hurting, she'll just lick the swollen knuckles."

Born with scoliosis, Dunay was crippled when rods unsuccessfully implanted to straighten her spine were removed and rheumatoid arthritis set in.
An artist, Dunay wears braces on her arms and tapes her brushes to her hands to paint.

"Lacey helps me pick up brushes and paints when I drop them, so I name many of my works after her," she said.

Last summer, one of Dunay's works took a first-place award at the Lake County Fair.

Lacey also is a fine playmate, elevating Dunay's spirits by playing hide and seek under her blanket or behind the curtains.

"She likes to play dead when you 'shoot' her, but you must pretend to give her CPR by pressing on her chest and counting one, two, three before she gets back up. She loves to dance and give people her paw," Dunay said.
Lacey wears a tiny red vest identifying her as a service dog and carries a fanny pack with a prescription written by Dunay's doctor.

As a working service dog, Lacey is permitted in supermarkets and restaurants, and on airlines and other forms of transportation. Service dogs such as Lacey are governed by federal law and are considered a part of the person they are serving.

"People should not pet a service dog while it is working," Dunay said. "In fact, Lacey knows when she's not supposed to be petted and will duck away when people reach out.

"I have a command I give when she's down off the scooter and can be petted."

Lacey will get a filet mignon for Valentine's Day, Dunay said.

"She's quite a girl. It's like she's a part of me."

http://www.news-herald.com/site/news...id=21849&rfi=6
fasteddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!