View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
MyFairLacy
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hha View Post
Its very normal for this to happen to an older dog! Just like people when they get old and can't hold their bladders anymore..I would start diapering him(belly bands), that's what my Mom had to do with her dog, he lived to be 15, but, he got to where he couldn't hold it anymore, it's really sad.. My golden retriever also got like that when she got up there in years...I don't know if you could train him to pee pads now or not, mine have used pee pads all their lives, so, that makes it nice, but, when they have always gone outside, it seems almost impossible to train them to use the pads...I think the vet would tell you the same thing, that with his age, this is VERY NORMAL
No, increased urination in older dogs is not always normal. Yes, older dogs can develop urinary incontinence, but there could also be a medical issue behind the increased urination.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=616

Some older dogs who have been housetrained for years, may start having 'accidents.' As with other behavior problems in older dogs, there may be multiple causes for this change in behavior. Medical conditions which result in an increased frequency of urination or defecation may be the underlying cause for this behavior problem. These conditions include: colitis, inflammatory bowel disease, diabetes mellitus, bladder stones or infections, inflammation of the prostate, Cushing's disease, and kidney or liver disease. Medical conditions which cause pain or make it difficult for the dog to go outside to eliminate can also contribute to the problem. These conditions include arthritis, anal sac disease, loss of vision, and some forms of colitis. Treatment of these medical conditions may help to resolve this behavioral problem. Some medical conditions can result in a loss of control over bladder and bowel function and include hormone responsive incontinence, prostatic disease, and cognitive dysfunction.

Last edited by MyFairLacy; 11-26-2007 at 08:54 AM.
MyFairLacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!