View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #15
my2boyz
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

A lot will depend on the personality of your dog. When we got Boog we wanted a friend for him but he never would accept another dog and believe me, we tried...he loved people but not other animals. So, we raised him as an only fid and he was pretty spoiled but I always wished he would have accepted another Yorkie into the house. Before you ask...yes, we had to keep Boog...we absolutely loved him and he had so many health issues that I would have never let him go to anyone else.

When we got Jo we waited about 6 months before getting Riley...I think Jo was about 1 when we brought Riley home. He accepted him, they are best buddies and they depend on each other but I have seen some changes in Jo. He hasn't changed behavior wise (marking and things like that) but for a long time he wasn't as loving as he was in the beginning...he became pretty independant. It's just been recently (2 years later) that he has returned to his 'old' self and wants to be a lap dog again.

Now that I've brought home the Biewer girls Jo seems to be an old hand at acceptance but Riley is having a hard time. Riley wasn't around other puppies when he was young, he didn't know how to play and is afraid of other dogs (even Jo sometimes) so the puppies kind of freak him out. I think it will all work out in the end though...we're already seeing progress after just a week.

Is it possible for you to puppy sit for another dog for a few days to get a better idea of how your dog will react? Everything always seems great in the beginning but into the second or third day you'll see more than you saw on the first day.

Good luck in your decision...

Last edited by my2boyz; 11-26-2007 at 08:02 AM.
my2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!