View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004, 09:52 PM   #1
fasteddie
YT 6000 Club Member

Default [News] Upscale Pet Boutique Opens in St. Louis

Yappy hour! Heheheh... Hope they succeed!
---
New-business owner Michelle Jones believes that pet owners will pay big bucks to dress Fifi and Fido in all manner of froufrou.

Along with standard paraphernalia, her recently opened Rella's Pet Boutique sells tiaras, jewelry, elaborate beds and dresses, including a wedding gown. Think of the chichi Chihuahua in the "Legally Blonde" movies.

Jones, 27, who named the store for her tiny Yorkshire terrier, Rella, sees a market selling $39 tiaras and $1,400 sculpted, rose-shaped pet beds.

"I can't believe I'm the only psycho," she said with a laugh. Jones, a San Francisco native, owns the store at Green Mount Crossing in Shiloh with her husband, Neil.

They're trying to tap a trend. Pet-product spending could double to $34.3 billion this year, according to the American Pet Products Manufacturers Association.

"The pet market is just exploding," Jones said. "Having pets has changed. Pets have become more integrated into being part of the family."

The store carries only some of the products she sells. The full inventory is listed on her recently launched Web site. Within days of going active, it had $680 in sales, Jones said. She believes that bodes well for the Shiloh store.

Though others in the St. Louis area offer a few items in the middle price ranges, no store specializes in high-end accessories. And to be sure, no other pet store offers a "yappy hour," with food and drinks for pets and people.

Rella's Pet Boutique

Owners: Michelle and Neil Jones of Fairview Heights
Address: Green Mount Crossing, Shiloh
Phone: 618-394-7579
Web site: www.rellaspetboutique.com

An inside look at Rella's Pet Boutique

What marketing strategies will Rella's use?
Fashion shows for pets; free fittings for pet clothes; free gift-wrapping; fund-raisers for the Belleville Humane Society; and photo opportunities for pets with Santa, Easter bunny and family members.
What differentiates Rella's products from those at other pet stores?
The store sells fresh-baked dog and cat treats, clothing appropriate for the season, "nail pawlish," doggy bridal gowns, tuxedos, bedding and unusual jewelry.

Why start a specialty pet store?
"I couldn't find a job where I could take (Rella) with me, so I made a job for myself," said Jones, who plans to look after her two daughters - Elizabeth, 5, and Rebecca, 3 - at the store.

How was the business financed?
The owners are using $45,000 loan backed by the Small Business Administration and a $25,000 line of credit.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/bus...+pet+pamperers
fasteddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!