View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
Suzy
2 Pups=Double Trouble!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillys_mom View Post
to buy a house? My husband graduates college in May and we are going to be moving out of our rental. This is our first time owning a home and we will be clueless on everything, including when to start looking. I don't want to start to late but not real early either. We would like to be moved in late May/early June. So what month should we start looking? Right now is to soon. Just curious on what others suggest. We kind of have a month in mind but we are afraid we would be pushing it. Thanks!
I would recommend starting to look in March-that's usually when houses go on the market, after many are pulled off the market over the holidays/winter months, and many people want to sell their house to move after school is out, so they don't have to pull their kids out of school mid-year. If you start looking then-or even late February if there are houses of interest on the market at that time, you should have plenty of time to find, buy, and move into a home before the end of May/June.

Now with all that in mind, I will tell you that we put an offer on our home on December 12 of last year and did our closing on February 1st, and them moved February 15! Talk about an "off" time to buy and move-right in the middle of an Iowa winter!!!

Also, if you're really eager to move, start packing up NOW-it always takes longer than you think it will. After the holidays, box up all the winter stuff and decorations as if you were moving. Same goes for items that you don't use frequently. Also, as your son outgrows his clothes, pack them up for the next child, or donate them. Do the same with clothing that you and your DH no longer wear. If you get a jump on it now, it will be easier and faster to get moved as soon as you find the home you're looking for.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!