Thread: USDA Licensing
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #13
lisatodd
Little Boogers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosoma View Post
I thank you all for the input thus far, and appreciate your taking the time to explain how you view licensing.

You know, I have read those guidelines front to back, and can find no restriction about raising pups in the home. It does say that the dogs may not be housed in the same facility as any other BUSINESS, but nothing about living areas. I wonder if this has changed recently?

I find it interesting to contemplate all the different views on this. For example, because of my experience with breeders raising pups in their homes (I am not saying this is true of all, or of those posting here, just my experience) in my mind this has a bad connotation. I have never seen any home with more than 4 dogs or pups in it that I would consider sanitary. For this reason, I prefer a living area that can be easily cleaned and sanitized. And I personally have a problem with exposing young pups to the people and other pets that routinely visit homes. (Just my opinion, not knocking anyone)

I do certainly see that if a breeder keeps their dogs and pups in a kennel all the time, with little or no socialization, that would definitely be a problem. That is not how we raise our puppies, but I know that many breeders do, and it sounds like those that do have ruined it for those that don't.

From the posts so far, and other info I've read, it sounds like the majority opinion is that all licensed breeders are akin to puppy mills and do not socialize their puppies. In all honesty, I find that to make as much sense as if I were to say that all puppies raised in homes are in unsanitary conditions.
But regardless of my personal views, since we have no real need to be licensed, I will carefully consider the pros and cons of renewing our license.

Again, thank you all for your input (and any more that may be posted), and I hope my opinions are taken as just that, opinions. I am new to this board, but really appreciate the spirit of true open discussion that I have seen.
just to let you know, i have 4 dogs and my home is extremely clean. the cleanliness is due to the owner, not the dogs.

just curious, what type of dog/dogs do you breed and what is you kennel name?

Last edited by lisatodd; 11-23-2007 at 09:33 AM.
lisatodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!