View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
ladyj
No Longer a Member

Rose therapy dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyNTuckersMom View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with a small dog as a therapy dog and if there were any problems, considering their size. I don't need the testing requirements, etc. I've already been to TDI's site for that. I am really just concerned about the safety of a small dog in a nursing home or hospital setting. My father has recently been admitted to a nursing home, and many of the residents absolutely GLOW when I bring Tucker in. He seems to excel at this "work" and I am considering going into the therapy dog work, but I just worry (he is my little boy, and I don't want to endanger him in any way). On tdi.com so many dogs are the bigger breeds- boxers, shepards, etc. that I don't know if a Yorkie would work well?

Teresa
I have a 12-pound Bichon, Cosmo, who is a therapy dog. We go to the local children's library and visit with 20-40 pre-schoolers every Monday. I always sit beside Cosmo on his mat and keep an eye on the kids. I have intercepted little feet that might step on him and little hands that might poke at an eye and pats that might be too hard. If too many kids swarm him at once, he thinks he'll get stepped on and wants to sit on my lap and I always let him. Cosmo loves the kids and enjoys seeing them and getting all the attention. The owner is charged with keeping an eye on what's going on and protecting the dog. I don't think it would be a problem at all, even with a smaller Yorkie. They are ideal for laying on a bed beside a patient and the owner can intercept any hand that moves too fast or pats too hard. I know a little five-pound Maltese that was just certified and is waiting for a place to visit. I think she will be great. Her owner will be charged with protecting her and seeing that she doesn't fall off of a bed or get stepped on or patted too hard. It won't be a problem and the smiles on the faces of whoever this little dog visits will be well worth it. If your Yorkie is calm and likes people, go for it!
ladyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!