View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 07:54 AM   #9
T Doll
Mocha's Mommy
Donating Member

I don't know if you want to have her pee pad trained, but if all else fails, you can do what I did...

At first I thought we weren't making any progress with Mocha at all, until a couple weeks ago. His crate came with a divider, so I made it just big enough for him to stand up, lay down, and turn around. My Mocha however, kept soiling his crate, and it would often be quite a mess. The problem was, whenever he is in there alone, he freaks out and won't stop crying/whining/barking. I've been told to never let him out when he's fussing, as it only teaches him that he will get out when he makes a big scene. Since he was constantly crying in his crate, I didn't know whether he needed to get out to potty, or if he just wanted attention. Since he was soiling his crate anyway, I decided to take a different/opposite approach. I took out the divider and gave him entire room in the crate. He has a cushion and blanket on one side, and a pee pad on the other. Now, when he has to potty, he'll always step off of his blankets and use the pad. This was much easier to clean up, and he didn't have to lay in his own mess. I found that it actually got him used to going on the pee pad. Now when I take him out, he'll walk over to a pee pad and potty on it. Before this, he only went on his pad (at his own will) twice in the span of 2 weeks. Now that I've changed his crate set up, he's been going over to his pad on his own these past couple of weeks. He still has accidents whenever his pee pad isn't close enough to him, but getting him to even walk over to his pee pad was a huge deal to me, as he would hardly ever do it before...even if it was right beside him. A lot of people would probably not suggest my method, but hey, it seems to be working for us. Hope that helps
T Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!