Thread: USDA Licensing
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
kosoma
Inactive Account

Default USDA Licensing

I am hoping for some thoughts about USDA licensing.

Though I recognize the validity of the statement that USDA licensing doesn't really mean anything because of the inability to enforce regulations, at the same time, we chose to be licensed because in our area there are a number of disreputable breeders. And around here, right or not, many view licensing as at least a minimum of needed regulation. (We do not legally have to be licensed, as we don't sell to brokers.)

However, I read on this and other forums and articles, that breeders are being labeled as puppy mills merely because they are USDA licensed. Now, I realize that licensing doesn't mean you aren't a puppy mill. But nor does it automatically mean you ARE a puppy mill. What disturbs me is the arbitrary labeling of breeders with no other information than the fact that they are USDA licensed.

And it makes it very difficult to make a decision about whether or not to be licensed. Licensing adds (again, whether it's right or not) a degree of legitimacy in our local area. But it seems like it might take away legitimacy for our clients adopting on the internet.

I guess what I am looking for here is an opinion on whether to be licensed or not from breeders. And from potential "adopters", what do you think? Does the fact that a breeder is licensed make you shy away?

I do want to make clear that I'm not trying to begin an argument. I realize that there are varying views on this subject. I'm just trying to decide what is best to do.
kosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!