Thread: bad bad cough
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #24
llovel
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Silky Terriers are not big Yorkshire Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn
About the growth question, they reach full size at 6 or 7 months. The standard weight is between 3 to 7 pounds. If they exceed that weight they are considered "Silkies" . These guys are 8-12 pounds. If there are any other questions let me know, I'll give you whatever insight I have.
A Yorkshire Terrier and a Silky Terrier are two different breeds of dog, with similarities AND differences, including weight. They look similar because the Silky Terrier was orinally bred from the Yorkshire Terrier!

Yorkies were originally bred in England from various types of terrier, including the Skye Terrier, Leeds Terrier and Maltese. At first, the Yorkie was a much bigger dog than today, but selective breeding of the smallest ones has shrunk them over the years.

The Silky Terrier was originally developed in 19th century Australia primarily from the Yorkshire Terrier and the Australian Terrier plus other terrier breeds such as the Skye and Cairn.

A Silky has a wedge shaped head (longer muzzle and flatter skull) while a Yorkie has a more dome shaped head and a shorter muzzle. A Silky is a little longer in the body than tall at the shoulders but a Yorkie is about the same length in the body as it is at the shoulder, giving it a more square shape.

One thing they both have in common though, is that they are loving and devoted companions!
llovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!