View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Gracie2006
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Default Should I or shouldn't I? (Personal issue)

I am in a bit of a quandary and would like your honest opinion about something.

In 1997, I started a business with a family member-her idea (I know, big mistake). She said she had the capital, I trusted her (shouldn't have). At any rate, the business did not succeed as much as we had hoped. We were operating in the red, though still had the potential to turn things around. My business partner was self employed in another business (I did not know it too was operating in the red). She closed that business. She then got several different jobs that she quit for a variety of "personal reasons", most often that she just did not like the boss or could not get along with other staff. During this time, she was not putting any effort in to our business, while I was working a full time job and running my own "other" business.

One day, while unemployed, she sold her house and then filed personal bankruptcy, without the courtesy of giving me some warning that this was to happen. Out of the blue, I get an email that in essence says she filed the big BK and "congrats, you are the proud owner of all of our business debt". I won't say how much, too much. Well, things got ugly with attorneys and such and we have not spoken since. I ended up with a pittance of $ from her BK, which I applied toward paying off our business debt. That small amount did not begin to pay the attorney bills I incurred to deal with the business side of her filing BK. At the time she filed the big BK, I bought her share (more money invested) of the business from her, so she no longer had any stake in it at all.

Today, I paid off all of that debt. I feel so proud and at the same time so angry to have let myself get into this mess! It has taken me 7 years to do this, working full time at essentially two jobs to make it happen. About this time, my former business partner is probably celebrating in that the magic 7 years has passed to discharge her BK and she can once again start running up credit card debt.

So here is my quandary. Part of me, my peri-menopausal side, wants to rub it in her face and send her a "congratulations card", announcing the business debt has been paid off. The non peri-menopausal side of me says "don't invest the energy".

What would you do? Rub it in her face or let this date pass quietly by?

Last edited by Gracie2006; 11-17-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Gracie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!