View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 12:30 PM   #23
celstu1
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiesmiles View Post
Thank you for the list. And Stewartslucy - thank you for the insight!! I started a thread last week - about travel - because I'm trying to do this with 2 small yorkies in one bag. Flying Northwest to Florida & trying to make sure the dogs make it ok.

Has anyone flown Northwest?? I had to prepay for their ticket. I bought one ticket for both -- I'm concerned about what happens when I get to the airport. Will they want to see the dogs out of the carrier at the ticket counter?? Will they weigh the dogs & the carrier - the gal I booked the ticket thru insisted I had to tell her how much the bag would weigh & I had to guess because I haven't bought the carrier yet.

I realize I will have to take them out to go thru security. But what happens at the gate? Do they check the dogs again?? And once on board, do the flight attendants know who is bringing a dog on board? Will they come & check on us?? Also, Northwest says they don't require a health certificate, but I'm trying to figure out whether I should get one anyway, just in case.

OP - sorry, didn't mean to steal your thread!
This is not a great idea. Technically they only allow 2 dogs when they are under 6 months of age. I am flying Northwest next month. I am taking my 2 2 year old boys. I paid for both of them ($160). Northwest does not require health certs, but check your landing destination, they may require one. New Mexico requires a health cert (although I doubt they figure out how to follow up on a visiting dogs health certs). Anyways, from what I was told, they probably won't even look at your bag or weigh it. I bought myself a backpack type bag so I can strap my boys on my back (easier to carry them that way) but they weigh more than 15lbs (about 17lbs with the carrier) so I HOPE & PRAY that they don't weigh the bag ... although I wonder if they'd let 17lbs just go. I know you have to take them out at security and thats it. Not boarding and not at the ticket counter. I pray this works out for me and for you! Id hate to miss going home for the holidays but I did buy a refundable ticket for myself in case they do turn me away! Its the 7 Ps of life "Proper Prior Planning Prevents P*ss Poor Performance" LOL
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!