Thread: Breeding :)
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 02:09 AM   #1
yorkiegirl83
Love My Furbabies!
Donating Member

Default Breeding :)

I see so many posts about people wanting to become breeders and I've seen so much advice, that my head spins a little

I'm *potentially* interested in breeding many many MANY years down the road. I would not even begin this venture until my 4 companions have passed on which I pray to god will not be for a VERY long time.

I'm sure you all hear this question 45955904 times a day and I'm sorry to be repetitive, but I just had to start my own thread wondering about it.

What kind of personality traits should you have as a breeder? For instance, I know that when it comes to medical things, I am squeamish and even slightly panicked. Can being calm and comfortable with the birthing process be learned? Or were all of you experienced breeders always comfortable around bodily fluids, birthing, ect?

Financially, what would you say is a good amount of money to be set aside to begin a breeding program? I know it is very expensive and many unexpected expenses can easily and quickly come up. I'm assuming most reputable breeders have a savings account strictly for the care of their animals..

How do you set about finding a mentor? How are you sure that the person you choose to be your mentor is the best possible person to learn from? Are there things to look for when searching them out?

How do you find "your breed".. the animal you are SO passionate about breeding? I know this is a yorkie forum, and I *love* yorkies as well, but there are many breeds out there. How do you decide which is right for you?

I'm just asking all these questions because while I love the idea of breeding at some point in my life, I want to make sure that I fully know the spectrum of responsibilities, expense, lifestyle changes that go into being a truly sound and reputable breeder.

I want to know what I should do to learn about the process in the years that I'm not going to be a breeder, to ready myself for a future in it, if I decide that is what I will do.

I hope that this wasn't confusing!!! It's just very hard to read through all the threads on breeding and get answers to my specific questions

Any insight is very much appreciated!
yorkiegirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!