View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
ItsyBitsy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

I sprayed the pee pad with the Simple Solutions Pee Training Spray until she got the hang of using the pee pad. Once she got her scent on the pee pad, then she pretty much used her pee pad. I use washable pee pads, so I think even after they're washed, they retain some scent that may not be discernable to us, but dogs still smell it.

Praise like crazy (and give her treats) when she does use her pad. When she goes anywhere else other than the pee pad, yell "NO" really loud but in a low voice and clap your hands. I rarely ever say "NO" to Bitsy, I usually use the sound "uhh uhh", so when she hears me say "NO", she knows mom means business.

Please note, that if you don't catch her in the act, its pointless to yell "NO" because she won't know what the heck your reprimanding her for.

I am by no means and expert, but I've had Bitsy for a little over 2 months. She was basically pee pad trained in about 3 weeks. It's been close to a month now and so far, no accidents (knock on wood).

I think the key is consistency and vigilance.
Whenever she was out of her play area, I watched her like a hawk. I didn't take my eyes off of her for 2 seconds. I took 2 weeks off work, and a week of half days. I didn't watch TV, read, go on the computer. I basically just watched her, and it was sooooo boring just staring at your puppy all day long, but it paid off.

When I couldn't watch her (when I needed to eat, shower, wash dishes etc..), she went back into her play area.

Good luck!
ItsyBitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!