View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #4
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Okay, somebody please explain.
What is better: steamed or boiled veggies?
How do you pulverize vegetables? Just put them into a food processor raw?
Which vegetables are supposed to be given raw and which ones cooked?
When a recipe calls for squash, can I use butternut or spaghetti (instead of just yellow and zuccini)?

The veggies Ellie gets in her meals now/will be getting are carrots, green beans, broccoli (in moderation), zuccini, yellow squash and bell peppers.
Are there others that I could be using and am not thinking of? She doesn't do really well with spinach. I like to give her veggies that are hard to overdo (like carrots).
Funny you mention spinach - I just had my follow-up w/ Marcel's nutritionist (about adding other foods and switching to raw) and she specifically said: "do NOT give Marcel spinach - dogs don't generally do well on it" - and I can't remember the reason why, but there was one. Interesting, huh?

What is better: steamed or boiled veggies? Steamed is better bc you lose less nutrients
How do you pulverize vegetables? Just put them into a food processor raw? You can do it by hand (if you want a work out) or use food processor until they are mushy, maybe with just a bit of "lumpiness", if you're feeding them raw. Otherwise, after steaming, put in food processor and puree. Technically, you don't HAVE to puree if steaming, but it does make digestion easier.
Which vegetables are supposed to be given raw and which ones cooked? To my knowledge, it doesn't matter - but perhaps I just don't know!
When a recipe calls for squash, can I use butternut or spaghetti (instead of just yellow and zuccini)? I think any kind of squash is good for them. Marcel's gal mentions butternut, zucchini, and "winter" squash (for whatever it's worth).

Just for clarification - the advantage of feeding the veggies raw is that you retain all the nutrients - but it can cause gastric distress as they are harder to digest. The advantage of feeding steamed is the ease of digestion (but you can add nutrients back in via a multi).

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!