View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #9
T Doll
Mocha's Mommy
Donating Member

Default Not too sure about puppy food...

I went to a local pet health food store and the man helping me told me to never feed puppy food and that it makes their legs long I'm not too sure about the long legs, but come to think of it, my friend fed puppy food to her Maltese, and she does happen to have extremely long legs. He also said that in the wild, they wouldn't be able to choose from "puppy" or "adult" food...they would all eat the same whether they are babies or adults, so that made a lot of sense to me. My breeder gave me a bag of Solid Gold adult food, which was what she had all of her puppies on. This was great, as the man at the store had recommended the same thing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
1. You introduce the dogs on neutral territory. Do not do it in your house if you think there will be a problem. Then you bring them both back to your house.
2. They need puppy food for about the first year. You could also use an All Life Stages food like Canidae. Canidae, Innova, Life's Abundance and Wellness are some good ones.
3. You get them fixed at about six months. Some vets say five. You don't want females to go into heat before spaying because it increases their chance of getting mammary tumors.
4. Puppies are fed 3-4 times a day. Adults are fed 2-3 times a day. You could also free feed if you are feeding kibble as long as the dog knows when to stop eating.
5. It depends on when you get the dog. Shots are usually given at about 8, 12 and 16 weeks (some have different schedules starting as early as 6 weeks and I think that is way too young). The vet will also check for worms during this time.
T Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!