View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
tbellhopkins
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Question Breeding Guidance

Evening, folks! I have a 2 year old male, registered, that I'd like to breed. I am very particular about who I let my baby around, so I prefer to own the female. I've know where I'm getting her, but as she's not yet born, I'm expecting to take a year before the pair is ready to make sweet love, longer as I want to wait til at least the second heat.

I'm already in contact with a vet that I adore. We've begun genetic testing on Chuy, and we've decided to wait closer to actually breeding to r/o LP. If the little lady is unable to breed because of issues, or if something pops up on the little bear, then yes, he, she, or both will be spayed/neutered. Size will also determine whether or not the pair are bred, but considering mom and dad's size, I don't think it will be an issue. If size problems do occur, no biggie. I'd rather have a healthy pair of babies (Chuy and my soon-to-be little girl) than a litter of not-so-healthy babies and no momma to nurture them.

I am looking for any guidance literature that you all can recommend. Books, educational dvd's, things of that nature. I've ordered Breeding Dogs for Dummies, but I was wondering if there is anything out there breed specific. Also, what types of things do you long time breeders feel is needed on site at the whelping? What things are a waste of money? As I said earlier, any info you guys have is greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Tonya
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!