View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
EmrldShdwQueen
No Longer a Member

Default Accurate Weight?

Yesterday Ryder turned 6 weeks old, and he weighs 11 ounces. I looked at the Yorkie growth chart and that puts him between 2 and 2.5 lbs full grown. Is 6 weeks an accurate time to start using the growth chart? I know it's not always right if they're 1-3 weeks...

I know it can also depend on the mother and father, etc. They haven't been COMPLETELY weaned yet...they eat puppy food during the day and are allowed to nurse at night (but they don't get a lot because there are 6 in the litter). The mother is 5 lbs, father is 3 lbs...mothers first litter, dad always throws small puppies (so far the biggest are Sophie and her brother, and they both weigh close to 3.5 lbs at 6 months).

The breeder keeps puppies until they're at least 12 weeks, sometimes more if needed. Ryder has had no health issues, one sugar drop right after he switched to dry food (even though his belly was full).

I'm a little worried about having a 2 lb puppy. Some of you who have the teeny tiny ones...does that sound like an accurate weight to you? How much did they grow from 6 weeks to 12-14 weeks?
EmrldShdwQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!