View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 01:30 AM   #8
Travelvixen
No Longer a Member

Default We solved our Yorkies itch!!

The first 18 months after we adopted Corky, we struggled with severe bouts of his itching. Itching so bad he would rip and chew his own hair out. We went to the vet for help- a lot. He gave him cortisone injections, prescribed creams, which would help for awhile...but then the itch was back....we looked at his bedding, our soap, any household chemicals, my perfumes, lotions etc. Obvoiusly, he was deticked and had no fleas!

What was the cause? Gluten intolerance. Even dog treats would set him off. I was using small bits of French bread as treats to teach him things. However, no amount of bread or cereals can be in his diet. Corky now has a luxurious, thick and silky coat and doesn't itch anymore. Since then, I've learned that lots of dogs suffer from gluten intolerance.

By the way, even after you remove the wheat/flour/gluten from their diet...it takes around a month for the itchies to stop and for any reaction to work it's way out of their system. To see if this is the cause, eliminate things for at least 30 days. Try removing gluten, nuts, cheeses etc.

Good luck, it's never nice to watch our babies suffer with an itch!
Travelvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!