View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 02:47 PM   #12
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

i'm a tech. I've worked in a few general practice clinics and now i work for a emergency and referral center for surgery. i like my job, but some days i hate it. my last job in a general practice was ok. I liked the doctors and the clients. Towards the end tho i was getting very bored with the routine. Every day was the same. appointments in the morning, surgery in the afternoon, and appointments at night. also all the surgeries were the same every day.... dental...spay... neuter....declaw....dental... spay....neuter... declaw...blah...blah....blah....blah... I eventually left the clinic because of a horrible fellow technician who i wanted to kill.
My current job is never routine. We mostly do surgery throughout the day and see appointments first thing in the morning and some days at night. It is A LOT more stressful then a general practice. Today for instance was interesting. We did 11 surgeries ranging from different LP surgeries to foreign bodies to tail amputations. In the morning i was carrying around a 3 pound Chi who had bilat LP surgery yesterday and in the afternoon i was trying not to get my face ripped off by a 120lb cane corso. ...never a dull moment

So i do get to play with cute puppies and give/get loving from a lot of different cats and dogs. I save a life almost everyday in someway or another. its amazing sometimes.

But then you have to remember you WILL be scratched and bitten by dogs and cats, you will have to euthanized animals, sometimes for NO good reason, you will see hit-by-cars that come in with severe pain and all beat up, you will have to deal with rude/careless/horrible/annoying/psychotic clients, you will be yelled at by the doctors, you will need to move your ass if a life depends on it be it the animals or a co-worker, and you will have to see things you never thought you would. Just last week i was up to my elbows in intestines, literally.

So i don't want to scare you or discourage you but i want you to know its a lot of work. in the end you have to decide if its something you can do. The blood and guts of surgery really get to some people and others can't handle the euthanasia aspect.

if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!