View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 07:18 PM   #7
yorkipower
BANNED!

Default Two suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartyorkies
Bo is now almost 4 months old and the biggest training problem we're having (other than housetraining, which could have it's own separate forum JUST FOR BO!!) is I can't catch him! When I want to take him downstairs for awhile or to cuddle or if someone comes to the door he makes a complete FOOL out of me and I lose the game every time! Every time I need to take him out I get the leash and say "let's go out and potty" and he'll come toward me but if I lean down to attach the leash to his harness he makes it into a game and runs away. He's not afraid of me. My family calls him a "mamma's boy" cause he's always looking for me. And I love him to distraction of course!! But this little game of catch me if you can is getting tiresome. Any suggestions?[list][/list]
1) Make teaching the "come" command your first priority (I know easier said than done especially with such a baby). Here's a game you can play with him and members of the family (I can't take credit for this, it's totally Karen Pryor). Sit in a small, enclosed room on the floor in a circle with the puppy in the middle. Each person should have a clicker in hand and a bag of soft/moist food ready and able. Take turns calling your puppy, and as soons as the puppy turns to the caller, click and give him a goodie (immeditly after). Take turns, going back and forth around this circle of people. Your puppy is going to pick up on this came quickly -especially the part that when he comes, there's food waiting.
2) put him on a "shark line," light lead" or at the very least, halit with a "tab" in the house at ALL times until he learns to come when he is called. The cool thing about a shark line is that they are very light and clear so the dog can forget that he is on a lead but if he forgets to come when he is called, you have something that you can easily get a grap on. Max200 sells one. Here's the link:http://www.max200.com/litelines.htm
yorkipower is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!