View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 06:46 PM   #6
milliecorrales
YT 500 Club Member

Default The game

My boys were the same, but a couple of weeks ago, I was babysitting at my daughters house when they escaped from the front door in a totally unfamilar neighborhood and scared the life out of me. Her house is less than 1/4 mile from one of the most heavily traveled freeways in Los Angeles. It stopped being funny, when I realized that their game could get them killed. The tore across her street, each in a different direction. The following week, I was relentless, I used treats at first and whenever I was away from them in another room, I would call them to COME. If they did not, I went and got them. I tried a strong tone of voice and would scold and ignore them when they did not listen. After about 10 days of this, they COME when I call, regardless of where or what they are doing. Tonight was the test, I live in a large apt complex, I have never let the boys off their leash. No one was around except their good buddy, Buster, whom they love to play with. I took off the leashes, let them go in the courtyard and play. But every so often I would yell "COME" and every time they did, I had treats in my pocket. This command is SO IMPORTANT. Learning to obey this one is number one, it can save their life. I am glad I worked so hard for that ten days and I work at it each and every day, this is one of the most important things they have to learn. I consider it even more important than housebreaking them.
milliecorrales is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!