View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
Gracie2006
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

I have 4 cats and have used automated litter boxes for years. I suppose you can consider me an expert? Littermaid: Don't buy one. I had two. Each one died the day after the warranty expired. The thing is hard to clean as well.
I also tried a knock off of the Littermaid. I can't remember the brand. It had the same issues. With either one, you have to buy special collection containers. They can get pricey to operate.

Litter Roundup. I have this one now. It is OK but not totally automatic. The human has to press the button for it to cycle. Again, you need special bags to put in the collection area. Overall though, it is a pretty good product.

With either the Littermaid or Litter Roundup, you can get covers for them. My cats would not use them with covers.

Litter Robot: My favorite. I found it difficult to get it adjusted to cycle, but once I did, it was great. It died a few months after I got it. The company was great, sent me a replacement part which was easy to install, and no further problems. You can use cheapo kitchen trash bags in the collection area, which is very large. You can use cheapo litter which you cannot do with Littermaid. My only complaint really is that once the collection container gets sort of full, or, if a cat gets rambunctious and knocks the globe off kilter, it won't cycle. Or, it will cycle part way then stop. With this box, if it stops mid-cycle, there is no place for kitty to go until the human fixes it. I always kept an old fashioned box near by just in case. The cats loved the litter robot. I finally got rid of it when the cats scratched a hole in the rubber liner. I have been tempted to buy the new and improved model, but they are pricey. I hear the new model has a stronger motor and is less likely to stop mid-cycle or fail to cycle.

Any questions, just ask!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!