View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
HHansen
Yorkie Talker

Default Sick yorkie - need advise fast

About two weeks ago my yorkie started to throw up yellow bile --- took him to vet, he was dehydrated and RBC was high --- vet diagnosed pancreatitis (sp) --- he stayed at the vet for three days on fluids via IV only and then came home --- he wouldn't eat anything at home so three days later we brought him back to vet; vet gave move IV fluids and nutrient shot under skin. Four more days more and dog still hasn't eaten so we brought him back to vet again (today) -- after we dropped of the dog, he apparently took a turn for worse and suffered a seizure; blood tests showed low blood sugar ---they gave him fluids again and he recovered. They did more blood tests and found that test results were worse than two weeks ago. They then did an ultrasound and fund out the pancreas, kidneys, liver, heart, adrenal glands ... everything looked ok and don't think he has pancreatitis

Now they think he has polycythemia vera (PCV) because all the time his RBC (red blood count ?) was high --- at first they thought that the high RBC was caused the the dehydration, now they think it was the other way around and the PCV was causing the problem - theres apparently a blood test that can be done to check for this and they are doing this tomorrow.

The question(s) I have is (1) are we going down the right path here --- we have dog, won't eat, lethargic, throws up yellow foamy stuff, red blood count is high, dehydrated, has low blood suger levels and may have suffered a seizure and (2) If I wanted to get this dog to the best Yorkie doctor in the country, who would that be ?

Please help with any advice/suggestions etc

Thanks

Harold
HHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!