View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 07:44 AM   #5
JCarlson2004
Mommy To 3 Poochies
Donating Member

It's great that you're asking the right questions before getting a dog! Yorkies (and other toy breed dogs) can go through something called "seperation anxiety" which can happen if they're left home alone too often for long periods of time. When I first got my Maltese, Codie, he suffered from seperation anxiety. So I got him a friend - my little Yorkie, Katie. Now he's completely ok and they're the best of friends. So you may want to consider getting 2 dogs. Some people work long hours and have 1 Yorkie and it works out fine for them. But in my case, I needed to have 2 dogs because of the seperation anxiety. And 2 dogs isn't a problem at all ... just more to love!

The only other thing I'd be concerned about it your Yorkie's health. Many times these little dogs suffer from hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and they can fall into a coma and die if not treated immediately. They should be given NUTRICAL 2 or 3 times a day - Nutrical is a vitamin supplement and it helps prevent hypoglycemia. I use to work part-time, so I was able to be home in the afternoon w/ my dogs. But now I am working full-time (9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.) and I worry a lot about my dogs. Either I drop my dog's off at my mom's house in the morning, of my husband, Jim, takes them to work with him. If these 2 options are not possible, I'll have my cousin, Robert, come over for an hour or so to check up on them and play with them. It's a tight schedule but I'm always worried about my dogs, especially my little one, Katie, who is only 2.6 lbs, having a hypoglycemia attack.

Sorry this post is sooo long but there are a lot of things to consider. If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me. There are a lot of breeders on this website who are more experience and may have better advice to offer too. Good luck with your decision!! Yorkies are a blessing to own!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!