View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 07:36 AM   #7
yorkipower
BANNED!

Well, the first question I have to ask is DOES SHE APPEAR TO be too thin? There's a weight chart vets use, some do it from a 1-10 scale and others a 1-5. I'll explain this based on the 1-5. Ideally, your dog should be somewhere around a 3. You should be able to see the faint outline of her ribs and be able to feel them without having to press with any force on her sides with a finger, but if you can feel the space between her ribs or see her vertibrae protruding across her back, she is too thin,

Another thing, has your vet checked for worms? It is not uncommon for puppies to get worms. If she is wormy, the worms will be eating everything she is eating and she will not be able to gain weight.

Similarly, have you checked her teeth? Some puppies -esp. toy dog puppies, do not loose thier puppy teeth and need to have them pulled. The baby teeth begin to stick out and pinch the lips and gums and may even begin to decay in the mouth causing mouth pain and reluctance to eat.

A vet check would help rule out these two possible causes. If you rule out these issues and your dog looks like she is good weight, I wouldn't worry about it. She may simply be done growing. Incidently, even if her parents are larger, if she is closly line bred she may simply grow up small thier her parents.
yorkipower is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!