View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #14
Ivhana
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

I was in a GATE program many many many moons ago and then honors programs off and on in jr high and high school.

I think the most fun I had was at the grade school level. I loved it. My best memory was being able design and carry out my own scientific study. I got to research and design my own tests. Then go into different classes at the school and conduct testing to get my field research. It was a blast!

The honors programs were more book work and expectations. A lot more pressure if you ask me. Then again it could have just been the schools I attended.

My daughter is now in a gifted and talented program. Her strong points are math and sciences. She'd been getting extra studies the year before. It was very hit or miss though. She and about 4 others in her class got the extra studies only if there were teachers or volunteers available. Towards the end of the year they didn't get any of the extra time. Teachers were just too busy.

This year she qualified to attend a school that had a GT program or stay at her old school and get the extra classes. We gave her the choice. She chose to attend the new school. It shocked the carp out of us. LOL We're very proud of her for going outside her comfort zone!

She is LOVING the new school. I think that she enjoys the freedoms and challenges. I certainly don't hear that she's bored now. LoL I like that the students are allowed to express themselves in how they do things. Example is a book report. They pick any book they want. The report can be anything from acting out a part of the book, making a collage to doing a standard book report.

My daughter hasn't told us of any teasing or stigma to her being in the program. The school only has one GT class per grade. The core studies are held in their GT classroom. Stuff like art, gym and music are held with the rest of their peers. We were worried about it. So far, so good.

I could go on and on about the school and it's program. We're very pleased with how it's going. We did make sure she could go back to her old school if she found the new one too much for her. I don't think we'll have to worry about that now.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!