View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
ItsyBitsy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

I have serious pet allergies but it can be controlled.
I had cats growing up, but when the last one died when I was in my 20s, I didn't have another cat for 10 years. During the time that I was cat-less, I developed allergies towards cats.

I love cats and when I moved out on my own, decided to rescue a kitten from the Humane Society. Well, the first few weeks were fine, then my thrid week with the kitten, my allergies started getting bad. I don't think pets are disposable and I knew when I got the kitten that unless my allergies are life threatening, I will not give her up. I started taking allergy pills everyday, got a hepa air filter in every room, wiped her down with Allerpet every other day. I also have asthma, so with the kitten, I had to start using my preventative inhaler everyday.

After about 4 months with the kitten, my allergies got better and I have stopped taking allergy pills. I also got a second kitty 6 months after getting the first kitten because I thought she needed a friend. The second kitty is a Devon Rex and she barely sheds.

With my dog allergies, it's another story. My parents have two dogs, a coon hound and a cocker spaniel. Living with my parents, I was fine with the dogs. But since I moved out, everytime I go back to visit them, my allergies act up. My cat allergies are the itchy eyes and sneezing kind. My dog allergies were way worse. The dog allergies aggravate my asthma and I wheeze when around them. Now when I visit my parents, I avoid the dogs

With Bitsy, I am totally fine with her. She doesn't aggravate my asthma OR my other allergies. I do bathe her every 7 to 10 days and feed her high quality food.

I know a few people who have pet allergies that got use to their own pet and don't have reactions to them but are allergic to other people's pets.

I think you and your husband should try to hang out at the breeders house for a few hours to see what his allergies are like. Sometimes the reaction doesn't get bad until a few hours has elapsed.

Also, you should discuss your options and what level you're willing to put up with if your husband DOES become more allergic. It's really sad to see an animal rehomed when they've bonded with a family.

Good luck!
ItsyBitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!