View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
OurdogSam
Yorkie Talker

Great! How fun!!

I am a pretty recent Yorkie owner myself, having bought one for my family with 3 kids...smallest being 3 years old. I'll tell you the considerations we went through before buying Sam. He is 4 months old.

We wanted something that did not shed, had a lot of energy to keep up with the kids, was not too big, not too small (again because of the kids), with a good temperament. Oh, and something cute! We ended up with a little Yorkie for all of the above reasons.

Sam is very mild mannered, doesn't yip at all (only when he smells the neighbor's dog), doesn't mind if the kids maul him, eager to learn, very eager to please, and affectionate but will also spend time alone to give you a break. Potty training is tough, but I know we'll get there someday. Until then he stays off the carpet! His diet is what we have to be careful with. I had heard this about Yorkies and it is true! Watch what you feed your little one or you will cause him pain, he will make a mess, or you could really hurt him.

He came from the breeder with ear mites, but some drops took care of those in 10 days. He also came from the breeder with ear fungus (smelly!) but we also have some good cleaner for that and clean his ears once or twice a week. Keep the hair around his bum trimmed and around is boy parts and you won't end up with stuff in there that you don't want in there!

At 4 months, Sam is 6 pounds. At first, I thought we wanted something very small, but I am glad we have something bigger. He is still SUPER cute, but is a little more substantial than the teeny weeny dogs. I was worried about how a really small dog might to with the kids or the chilly Seattle days when we take him out. It seems like every time I see one of those really small ones they are shivering! He has just enough attitude to make him fun, but not enough to make him obnoxious!

Let me know if you want to know anything else about our new dog experience! Good luck with yours!
OurdogSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!