View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 08:21 AM   #15
Yorkieluv
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Did you join the liver shunt group? Is that the other group you're talking about? I know it can be overwhelming, but ask questions if you don't understand. Don't be afraid to ask anything. I'll try to explain the supplements.

The hepatosupport contains milk thistle which helps protect the liver from future damage and also helps repair the parts that are already damaged.

Vetri-DMG or denosyl/sam-e is another supplement that is important for liver compromised dogs. This supplement is different from milk thistle but also helps protect the liver.

Both of those supplements are important for liver support.

Dogs that are liver compromised need more vitamin E than normal dogs, so that has to be supplemented.

Fish oil is also good to supplement for the omega-3's, but don't use flax seed oil as it's not recommended for liver compromised dogs.

Vitamin b-complex is also very important to supplement for liver compromised dogs. The vitamin b can be found in Hepatosupport.

When you're homecooking, the calcium is very important. Dogs need supplemented calcium, so you have to give it to them in the form of either eggshells or calcium carbonate. Bone meal is not recommended for liver compromised dogs. Personally, I prefer the eggshells.
As far as the metronidazole, remember that if it's for long-term use, it needs to be in LOW doses.

Last edited by Yorkieluv; 10-19-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Yorkieluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!