View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
nvnvgirl
Lovin' to the MAX!!

My Max had the same problem...the vet told me that he needed to lose weight (he'll eat practically ANYTHING!!!), so she put him on a special prescription diet food (Hill's W/D) dry and canned. She said it didn't matter which he ate, but that he should only eat 1/3 cup (or 1/3 of the can) each day.....I was used to feeding him twice a day, and filling up a bowl of his dry food which he'd go thru in two or 3 days, but it was still too much, so I started just feeding him 1/6-1/4 cup of his canned food twice a day, and I fill up a 1/3 measuring cup with his dry food, and feed it in between (like at lunchtime and when we have dinner ourselves) to him as a "snack". He doesn't get ANY people food (other than an occasional tiny piece of toast when my dh is home) or treats....I use his dry food now as his "treats" and it's worked pretty well. So far, this is keeping him right where he should be at 5-6 lbs (I usually walk him a mile or so each day too). BTW, Max was initially put on this diet food b/c he had a bout of pancreatitis and the vet thought it might be b/c he was eating too much, so I try to be pretty conscientious about his food.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!