View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
Yorkieluv
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

The solid gold holistique isn't really recommended because of the fact that it contains fish meal which is high in purines. Natural Balance Vegetarian or Royal Canin LS 14 would be a better choice.

As far as an ultrasound goes, doppler is best if you're going to have it done. The u/s is good to check the size of the liver and to check for possible bladder stones, but it's not usually very conclusive as far as finding a shunt. It's only as good as the person reading it.

The only way to 100% diagnose MVD, you would need a liver biopsy. It might be a good idea to put her on one of the foods I mentioned above and a couple of supplements to see if the numbers are still abnormal. If the numbers are still abnormal 30 days after the change, then she more than likely has a liver issue.

Metronidazole, in very small doses, is actually recommended for dogs with liver problems, particularly when they're exhibiting symptoms.

Be careful with treats because they are pretty high in protein. The only treats I give are veggies or fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.

I am not a vet, I just have a lot of experience with liver shunt/mvd.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!