View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
connie777
Yorkie Yakker

Default Pheno or dogs...etc

Yes..the vet definitely said phenobarbbital. I picked some up yesterday. He also gave me acepromazine. He said to give one tablet of the pheno and 1/4 portion of the Acepromazine. He said to them wait to see if that works and if not I can increase it by another tablet of pheno and another 1/4th tab of acepromazine..
I read everything I can find onthe net about these drugs. It's true that te Pheno can damage the liver and it is habit forming when given regularly. Therefore dogs taking it regularly (for seizures) must be reduced gradually But I'm not worried about a one time thing like this. i read about the acepromazine also. this is another form of sedative that might help when added to the pheno. But, according to one site, some dogs can "will" themselves to overcome it. So it is not a good choice to use for an agreesive dog. It' also best to give it when the dog is calm...not when aggression has already begune. Then to be careful around the dog (agressive dog).
Bentley' not aggressive....he's just very likely to be trying to get away.
The vet mentioned he also prescribes these meds for some dogs who hve severe reactions to thunderstorms.
I'll probably try these meds in the next day or two.
I'm not planing to be using meds every time he needs grooming. But for this first time when he is so badly matted I think it will be pretty traumatic and having him stuggling against the grooming would seem more dangerous to me than grogging him up for a couple hours.
I'll report back whhat I find out afterwards.
Thanks for your replies.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!