View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
connie777
Yorkie Yakker

Default Phenobarb for dog? has anyone used it?

Bentley has a very soft cottony coat and his hair is severly matted in some areas. I work on an area for awhile and by the time I get it decent other areas get worse. i am never able to get him completely smooth and un matted. I think I will have to have him shaved or clipped with an electric clipper. My concern is that it will be very traumatic for him and certainly somewhat painful. I called my vet's office this morning to ask if there is a medication I could give him before the grooming so that he would be calm for the event. Bentley hardly allows me to work on him..and then for very short periods of time. Mostly he is trying to chew on the brush. A muzzle helps callm him...but of coarse I hate to do that for too long. The vvet's assistant said the vet will most likely give me phenobarb. This is something he's given to other pwners whose dogs don''t tolerate nail clipping or grooming. I've looked on the internet and see that it's a medication mainly used for dogs with epilepsy and seizures. I guess it can also sedate a dog. Has anyone here ever used this medication for either sedation or for seizures? I'm wondering how well it works...how long it takes to act and how long to wear off. Thanks
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!