View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 08:13 AM   #15
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

You need a trainer. Not necessarily one on one, but we've had Loki in obedience class for 3 months now and he's 8 months old now. He is really on his way to being a very well trained dog.

I know my trainer would have the answer to each one of the problems you listed, but I'm sure you are too far away for a once-a-week session out by me (it's in Elburn). Please don't give up - there must be a trainer near you that does positive reinforcement training. I have seen dogs go from complete terrors to quite pleasant in just a few months, if you work with them daily.

The basics are to reward good behavior, ignore bad behavior (do not chase him, if you need to because he steals important stuff then keep a leash on him), and use time-outs before you get mad. If he doesnt want to do what you want him to do then he can do whatever he wants by himself in his cage - he just isn't allowed to hang out with you. Also, don't give him anything for free - especially attention. If he bites you, put him in time out. There is SO much more to it and I'm 100% sure you would benefit from having him in obedience class. Good luck!
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!