View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 05:43 PM   #9
Passionfruition
Proud of my Sully!
Donating Member

I agree I'd be frustrated too.....but there IS hope. I know there is. And in my perhaps limited experience with dog-training, I have learned some important lessons.

So, IMO.... Yorkies are among the smartest of breeds. DO NOT underestimate him. He KNOWS right from wrong and manners, etc....well, perhaps he does not know yet but he has a complete ability to learn.

Some things he does know and does not obey....you must make it clear to him. Dogs LIVE for our approval. Not just anyone's but their 1 person's approval mostly....Stewie's #1 person, is you.

How much praise do you give him when he does something right? And on the flip side, how do you express your discontent with him when he behaves in a way that displeases you? Making a clear, consistent contrast should better drive the message home to him and help him understand what you want from him.

My personal experience with Sully is this: When he does not come when called, I march over to where he is point my finger straight at him and say "bad, bad dog!" in a mean voice. Then, I walk back over to where I was standing and call him again to come, which he does. And when he does, I give him lots of praise, tell him good dog, and pet his head.

Now I don't know what a professional would tell you about my advice....and the're free to critique my methods b/c it's a learning process for me......but for me, this has worked and Sully is a very, very well behaved dog (most of the time) and we haven't had an accident in the house in over 3 months!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!