View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 02:03 AM   #5
Sunnie
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyorkiesruleme View Post
I've been quietly reading everything I can on this forum before joining today and I think I'm more nervous than when I started reading! My female yorkie, Princess, is about 6 weeks pregnant. She was about 5 pounds before becoming preggers. The father is my male yorkie, Teddy. Teddy is about 3 1/2 pounds. We imported both about a year ago from England from breeders in different regions. We always knew we wanted them to breed at some point as it is impossible to get yorkie puppies here in the Cayman Islands that are younger than 15 to 18 weeks due to importation laws. However we were not expecting to become grandparents quite this soon. I'm not concerned about nutrition as my husband and daughter do a homemade gourmet pet food business on the side and so we have that covered. Princess is going for her first prenatal check this week and we will have our vet on standby for the actual delivery timeframe (I am not doing this on my own, no way, no how) but here is my question.....how do daddy yorkies behave around the puppies after whelping??? Princess and Teddy are inseparable but I am worried what will happen after she delivers, any hints and tips?

Thank you and thanks for providing such an amazing site!
I don't know how most Daddy yorkies act, but when my Sunshine had her babies, Sunnie (Daddy) really didn't have a lot of interest other than trying to see what they were. Sunshine would let him get close but she would nip at his nose if he tried to sniff them. The other dogs were not allowed by her to get within about 10 feet. Sunshine and Sunnie are inseperable as well, but I wasn't too surprized that she made him keep his distance.

Sonya
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!