View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 04:29 AM   #6
ladyj
No Longer a Member

Rose itching

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonmon View Post
This poor little dog always has one problem or another. For the last few months she has been biting at her bottom constantly. I have never seen fleas but treat her routinely with Frontline every 2 months anyways. She has had 3 outbreaks or rashes which I cant seem to associate with any one thing. I do suspect that twice the rash followed the use of the Frontline, but not right afterwards. I have taken her to the vet who gave her a combiantion antihistamine and steroid which seemed to help the acute outbreak but the scratching always returns. Usually it is just her tail and bottom, but tonight she is miserable and scrathing herself, rubbing on the floor, and jsut seems miserable. She has a few little red spots on her chest and belly but otherwise I dont see anything on her skin. I feel so bad for her. I will call the vet in the am, but I dont have much hope. I feel like he doesnt really listen to me and just throws medicine at me. I want to find out what is wrong with her so that we can actually help her for the long term. Ive been reading on line and it seems most likely to be allergies. I sure hope it isnt scabies (mange) or some of the other awful things I read about. Any suggestions for what could give her relief till I see the vet would be appreciated. I gave her a bath in oatmeal shampoo yesterday but if anything it seems worse now. Please share your experiences.
Laura
I have a Bichon, Cosmo, who used to get itchies and hot spots something terrible. I spent a lot of time at the vet's office with him. I use Gold Bond Medicated Powder to ease the itching and put clear aloe gel on raw places. I also give him children's chewable Benadryl. You would need to check on how much to give a Yorkie according to its weight. I beat the itchies and hot spots by changing Cosmo's food to something with no wheat or corn and only natural ingredients. I feed him Wysong Synorgon kibbles. Innova is OK also. I also used onesies to keep him from licking and scratching. You certainly have all my sympathy when fighting itchies. I have held my little Cosmo and rocked him and walked the floor with him to keep him from scratching/biting himself. I have shed tears when putting medication on hot spots because it hurt and he would look at me for help. I hope you find something that works! (I also use shampoo called Bichon Bubbles made with 22 oz of Ivory liquid dish detergent, 2 oz of glycerine, 2 cups of plain white vinegar, all mixed with a gallon of water. This shampoo is very gentle and doesn't irritate sensitive doggie skin. My son uses it to bathe my granddaughter's Yorkie, too.)
ladyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!